Friday, November 27, 2015

How Target and I worked together to save Christmas

I don't love target. I spent too much there, and it is never on stuff that I need. And in the last three Christmases target has really screwed me over when very awesome Christmas toys were not available online or not available with free shipping. Or half the gifts I wanted had free shipping and the others didn't. Or half the toys were 30% off, but not the half I wanted.

But this year I've been really, really proud of target: free shipping on everything for everyone, price matching, and the exact same discounts online as in the store. I actually got all of my Christmas shopping done through Target.com one week before Black Friday. I actually totally messed up and didn't use half the coupons I could've used, and the next day I called, got a hold of someone, and they refunded me $50 on the spot. Awesome.

This year my 8-year-old daughter asked Santa for Target American girl doll horse. She kind of wanted a certain one, but it was of course not available online or in stores and so I was hoping I could sell her on a different one. I bought it and had it shipped to where we are celebrating Christmas. Shopping done. So I thought.

Today, my 6 year old wanted desperately to look at the beautiful doll that she has asked Santa to bring her. I said, "sure thing," and pulled that sucker up on the screen. My older daughter came to see the doll and noticed the Target American girl doll horse I ordered for her in the corner of the screen. She specifically said, "I don't want that one." Long story short that horse didn't come with as many odds and ends and little items with it. The one she wanted that can't be bought came with a trail riding camping set. None of it had anything to do with horses. It was like a miniature camping lantern and things like that. So I had an idea. I searched all the target doll accessories, and finally I found a set called, "barn party." Little hotdogs and Coke bottles, a bandanna and a game of horseshoes. So I took a screenshot of the set and put it on my screen all by it self. I called my daughter in the room and in a sneaky elvish way said, "hey, great news, looks like those pictures were wrong. The black horse comes with some pretty cool stuff." She looked at the image on the screen. She jumped up and down a little with a smile and said, "yeah, I want that. I'll go change the list again."

Victory!

Listen. I know this is ridiculous. She is a white American with too much stuff. But our Christmas mornings are already pretty small. We fly across the country and can't bring much back with us. Plus, little bits is already figuring out that not all the magical stories parents tell are true. I have 4 kids and a full time job, and I don't have time for my oldest and very practical child to not believe in Santa. The cousins she will see on Christmas always ask Santa for one gift and alway get it -- and it rocked the boat pretty badly last year when it didn't go down that way under our tree. Again, I don't have time for learning opportunities and self sacrifices from an 8 year old on Christmas morning. Try to not to hit your sister and here is your damn horse.

So thanks Target. Together, we did it. I hated Target's Black Friday sale -- it was not nearly as good at the sale I got the week before -- but we worked it out and saved Christmas. And "we" really had a fun time doing it.

Also, my baby is dressed like a Christmas Elf in his new Target pajamas right now as we speak. Target might make a believer out of me yet.

Jill Fellow
801.735.7416

No comments:

Post a Comment