Monday, July 21, 2014

Uniforms

I went to enroll the kids in school today, and I overheard a lady talking about dress code. I assumed she was talking about the high school of course since we had already heard shady things about that place. But as a precaution and I asked the lady in the office on my way out. Oh, my ears did my deceive me! Their dress code is in fact a uniform starting in kindergarten. Not sure why but my instinct was to half laugh and half cry. I always a uniform a a kid because I was not cool or fashionable or skinny, and I hoped a uniform would level the playing field a bit. And we almost choice a charter school once that had uniforms. But suddenly right in front of my was NO CHOICE, and I couldn't ell but laugh my head off. I wasn't with the girls so I had time to process.

First step was Old Navy -- I ordered the bare minimum for now just in case I go I to labor tomorrow. By the time I clicked "submit order" I was pretty resigned to the whole thing.

Second step was happily mention the change to Quinn. Oh dear, she burst into tears and begged to go home -- to Ouray -- or be HOMESCHOOLED!! I tried to keep a straight face, and it was very hard. She doesn't break down like that very often, so I had to pull it together and support her. She kept sort of sobbing about collars. And Kenna was screaming, "What's a collar!!!!" and was really angry that the conversation got over her head so quickly.

The sadness continued, "Everyone we know here is homeschooled. I'll be the only one in the whole classroom. So I'll just walk home."

"I hate collars!"

"I want to go HOME!"

"You can wear whatever you want in Colorado!"

And on like this until -- shoes. The paper said nothing about shoes. So now I will be spending about $500 in new schools to make everyone feel special again.

I should have kept my big mouth shut

:)!

No comments:

Post a Comment