Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Wisdom from a friend

Today a friend wrote me some words or wisdom. I'd like to share. I'm grateful for the community of people supporting me from all over. For example, yesterday after panicking that no one loves my baby enough to make him a blanket of quilt like all my other babies got -- I just texted our old nanny and said, "You'll need to do this ... Love you." She's on it. Asking for helping and learning to receive it are probably pretty important. Also personal honesty and staying in the moment.

Here are my dear friend's thoughts from today:

"My midwife had an assistant come help named Rachel who set up a birth center in Uganda. She travels there every few months for a few months and had lots of experience birthing without any modern convenience. During transition when I felt like I was on the verge of death and couldn't take anymore, I had a few moments of total panic and fear. She holds my shoulders and says, "stay present." It changed me and I could finish birthing gently. If she would have said "calm down" I might have punched her in the face, gripped my body tighter and fought against the process causing unnecessary pain and loss. There are times in life when the only appropriate response is grief panic fear and anger. Staying present lets me feel those things without them overcoming me. And I'm soon returned to joy. No one taught me it's possible to have peace in the midst of sadness anger panic or loss. But you can. Jesus is that strong. And we can be that wise. You are that wise. Thank you for sharing your life with me. I miss you. I love you. I will celebrate this baby with you even if I can't put henna on your belly right now and wild flowers in your hair."

No comments:

Post a Comment