Saturday, August 9, 2014

Moving On

Thanks for sticking with my moaning the last few posts. I am doing better. I might be getting grouchier, but at least the end/ beginning is coming closer, which makes everything easier to deal with. Today I tried this -- imagine if you can -- sitting ALL day. I made a quick dinner and muffins in the morning, and then sat down and let my husband do every other little and big thing involved with entertaining some friends from Utah who just moved here too. He did the kids dinner, set the table, made the salad, served the food, and did all the clean up. And I just say there talking to the other mama. My back was a little sore that the end. But it beat really sore at the end of a long day of doing everything. So, that's a play to stick to when I need it, right? LOL

I wanted to touch base on some great friends that I have made here. Some normal. Some not so normal. But a friend is a friend.

I've got awesome Betsy in Spring Hill. We live in hour away, and she just moved here from Virginia. She grew up close to Tim's home town. We met at the science museum, and now we hang out, text, and talk a ton. She's pretty awesome. Maybe someday our little kids will get along, but until then we will just fake "play dates" that are really all about US! Next weekend, if now baby, we're just going to take a Saturday to ditch the kids, get my last odds and ends, and go to lunch. Sign of relief. Who could replace my dear friends I have left behind? No one really, but it is nice when someone comes close.

I've got Crazy Kelly from up the road. Kelly is from Grand Junction, Colorado and she spotted Quinn's Ouray t-shirt one day at a McDonald's play land. Neither of us spend much time at Micky D's so it was a nice accident. She said she felt compelled to go there with the kids that night when she was feeling a little homesick. It was a nice homesick cry-fest together. Kelly has 11 children and doesn't really have a church but has a lot of strong feelings about following the bible. She is a great listener and doesn't mind when I call her out of stuff. Her kids are well behaved, and although 11 seems crazy, I like watching how she lives her life and why. It strengthens me and opens my eyes to my own reflection on life and motherhood. She would drop anything for me, and her 13 daughter is already our favorite sitter.

I've got domesday Tara my neighbor. Tara is so kind hearted and would also drop anything for us. She has offered to drive me to the hospital when the time is right if Tim is not home. And although she has 5 kids -- her mom lives across the street and can watch all 8 kids until reinforcements show up. Her mom is delightful, and together they run the Goodlettsville farmers market. Tara says funny things like, "Well, I assume you're a conservative." And I just politely tell her, "No, not so much, but go on with your story, you probably won't offend me." As I have mentioned, I am still working out some boundaries with her kiddos. but in the end they are good people and nice neighbors.

I've got easy Brooke who is the wife of Tim's friend from his two year mission to Chile. She just moved here on Thursday, and Mike is in the very same program as Tim. She has 4 children, and is supplying me with some baby stuff and some great conversation about life and parenting. She too is eager to load her van and head up to my house when go time hits, and I really value that love and support. She said today, "I'll have a bag packed and ready." That is thoughtful. We relate to each other on many levels. She is Mormon and knows that I am not, but she has not brought this up. But I asked if I could hang out with her mom's group from Mormons in her neighborhood. I think we will continue to meet each other in the middle with respect and fun. Our kids are getting along, and that is awesome. I think we'll get together this week to swim or hang.

I've got working mama Becca who is the wife of Tim's friend at school. They are year ahead of us in the program, and Ben showed Tim around when Tim came to visit in April. They came to goodlettsville to take video of the house for us before we signed the lease, and they are generally awesome. They are both BYU grads, and Becca is a lawyer and has a MPA also. She's pretty amazing. She just had her first baby and is on maternity leave just like me! When she goes back, she had to spend a day in Dallas every week to keep her job. She's tough. I like that. But she doesn't let her work define her. We have a lot in common.

So, there are a few more people, but with even just this load alone, I feel grateful and honored that the God or powers of the universe have set me up with like minded folks and that these people want to be around me. I hope I will be able to return the favors they have offered me when baby comes but also the joy they have given me thus far.

I still feel homesick and confused about my life here -- but I don't feel lonely. I feel supported, but mindful, as I said, that I get to decide what I want for me and my family now and in the future. Moving is a great time to rethink these things, fix old problems, and move on. So, there we go .....

Moving one and sitting on the couch for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment