Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The First Day of School -- An Advertisment for PRIVATE SCHOOL!

So the kids did wake up early with excitement, and they did get themselves ready and tap their feet at the door until it was time to go. They smiled for their pictures, and were pretty awesome. I was already a little nervous because although I like to act Joe Cool, I get testy about being on time and the kids feeling really comfortable in these situations. We left way early, and got to school way early -- but it was too late. Cars were being directed to line up in the neighborhood across from the school, and there were already blocks and blocks of parked mini vans. We finally parked in the back of a run down strip mall that we have been too because it is home to a great second hand store that reminds us of home.

There were people everywhere, and of course, we didn't know where the classrooms were. I was exhausted and needed to sit by the time we got to the front door of the school, but to the administrations credit, there were people everywhere helping guide families to the right rooms.

It really was adorable when the teacher bent down to greet Kenna and she asked, "Are you so excited to be here in Kindergarten today?"  (voiced of course in a sweet southern drawl) And Kenna with a pretty confident look, shook her said and said, "No." I had already explained some of Kenna's struggles to the teacher so she found it pretty funny. I said to Kenna, "Look how pretty the classroom is," and the teacher respond, "Yup, it really came together, but the lights don't work." What? It was a foreshadow, my friends.

I was pretty homesick and tired when we got back to the car and announced on Facebook that I just walked the length of Ouray to take my kids to school. I considered the drop off really hard, but not a totally failure.

Then 2 hours a later I got a call from the school. I thought, "How dare they scare parents by having the school's number show up on the first day of school!" Turns out there was a FIRE at the school -- an electrical fire (cough, cough, broken lights) in a bathroom, and the whole campus was evacuated to a local church (There is a pic of Quinn and Kenna pointing to where they spent the first day of school.) The girls had to walk 3 blocks in their new school shoes in 90 degree weather, and then sit there with their classes for two hours. This was kind of good since it gave them a chance to mostly meet new people on the first day, but it also freaked out McKenna who could have used some order. Neither girl (or teacher) had a clue what was going on. Quinn had been in a fire drill before and didn't understand why this one made you walk SO far and why there were sirens.

So, I was feeling a bit on edge. I knew my kids were safe, but I wasn't sure if the fire had scared them or what was going on. I wanted to make sure to be there right at 11:15 for a fast pick up after this crazy first half day. So I parked really close the school at 10:45 and watched the News Crews and the police finish up. At 11:15 I dragged Lizza out of the car -- she was crying and didn't want to walk in the heat -- and went to get the girls. Nope. The school was locked.

I called out almost in tears, "This school is driving me Crazy!" And of course a mom came around the corner right then. She tried to help me. She explained that "Car Kids" are taken to the cafeteria and there is a line 200 cars long  behind the school at the "S" curve where I can pick up my kid. This was not an acceptable answer, and so I, of course, went pregnant lady Ape on this woman while kind of yelling and crying. Awesome. She found a way to get me into the school, and politely introduced me to an administrator so I could turn my wrath on someone else. But seriously, these people were killing me. Remember, I have been calling this school for 2 months asking what else I need to know. What do I need to do? How can I prepare my kids? and on and on. NEVER did anyone mention a special protocol for drop off and pick up that was clearly not used this morning when I was walking 5 blocks! I was outraged that they were telling me to go get back in my car and turn on this street and that street and get in line at the "s" Curve. Who uses stupid phrases like the "S" curve to a crazy pregnant woman? Come on! Know your audience. I finally just DEMANDED that I get my kids RIGHT NOW. Give me my children NOW!! (I am not proud, but sometimes the truth hurts.)

They were delivered. (Later at a play land, I met a mom who sat in the pick up line at their new school down the road for 55 minutes today, and then the school just gave up on the pick up protocol and let all the kids out the front door into the road.)

So, seriously. I know I have a little anxiety about big schools. But could this first day have gone worse in 3 and half hours?! Pretty sure not.

The good part was that each girl made a friend, which is so special.

And you should have heard the funny things they said, "It didn't feel much like school." "I'm not sure I get why they don't do math in Tennessee or science or anything!" It made a little more sense when I explained the fire was not a drill -- but they still don't know what school will be all about in Good ol' Goodlettsville.

I'm not pulling them out for home school or searching for private schools -- but it all did cross my mind. Let's just assume that everything will be better in 2 weeks ; )

When I told Tim about my horrible behavior, he defended me tooth and nail, and when I voiced concern about where that crazy passionate anger could possibly have some from, he went silent on the phone. Oh, yeah, it is one of the special skills of a MacAllister -- we are so nice and capable of communicating better than most -- until you cross us ... When we become passionate pains in the ass. "Honey, it's fine. It's genetic, and you did what you had so do ... and certainly what Kristie would do."

There is comfort in Family in times like these.  We are crazy together ... when we NEED to be.





No comments:

Post a Comment