Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween 2014

My day started out perfectly. I was nursing the baby at 6:30 am, and Quinn came to sit by me. She asked me something about Halloween, and we started talking about the day of the dead and other traditions and holidays when people honor the dead of face their own fears about death. It was deep, but she didn't really get it. Then I told the story -- a favorite for me -- of Lizza Jacobs Nelson riding the U-bahn in Vienna on Halloween dressed up is a dead princess. I told the story very dramatically, and someday when Quinn truly starts to get me and therefore her Aunt Lizza, she will cherish this story. Them we talked about how Aunt Lindsay had a way -- a gift -- of caring for people as they die, and I told them a favorite story of mine when Lindsay held a dying woman and sang her a favorite song. So, I was satisfied with me day before the girls even got on the bus. The rest I the day mostly involved shopping and baking. I seemed to burn everything today. Oops.

We had witches fingers. Cookies. Chile. Cider. Burned corn bread. And lots of candy. The good witch brought tooth brushes, gum, and beanie babies. The first round I good witch gifts were accidentally discovered by the children. $80 later -- we had a second round, and all was well again. At least now I am a step ahead on Christmas.

I was mellow about the Halloween hype this year. But I was strict on candy. I'm just done with all the junk. We start our November 1 cleanse tomorrow, and the children have opted to give up sugar for the month. They will be selling is their junk food am earning money for Christmas gifts. We let them keep or eat 6 pieces of candy today after trick or treating. And I was pretty grateful the school didn't send them home with a bunch of junk. Like I said, I'm done. Not moderation in all things -- Just say no to many things.

Anyway, it was so cold that we got to have our friends Courtney and John over for chile dinner since they could not head to the outdoor festival they were planning on. They were a blast to have.

That's a wrap on 2014!
Costumes were a success:

Quinn - Jasmine
Kenna -- a Snow Queen
Lizza -- super girl and Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment