Saturday, October 24, 2015

"Teamwork" on 3!

I panic when they cry. I'm a loud, fun, and passionate coach -- and I'm very aware that what is crazy and exciting to one 6 year old soccer player could easier my terrifying and abusive to another. It's a fine line. So, I panic when they cry. 

One sweet kiddo cried today on the field just after I reminded her where to stand again and at the same moment that her dad was yelling at her from the other side of the field in Spanish. 

I assumed we had crossed the line, and I felt horrible. I kneel down by her at the half and told her I understand how stressful it is to get instructions from a load voice and to hear more than one person coaching at once. And then I begged her to please tell me her thoughts and feelings, and when she finally spoke, she said, "that's on it. I just want to kick the ball!" 

The team of 6 and 7 year olds wasn't playing their best and it was every "Fire Girl" for herself out there. We had one player who was very strong, but who had a hard time not playing all the positions on the field at once. But the tears got that player's attention, and we had a pow wow at half time about team work and doing your part and letting other people do their part. We put our hands together and yelled, "teamwork" on 3. And then like a freaking sports chick flick, these girls transformed. They passed, they called, they played, and they scored. Everyone had major saves and great passes. It was like they finally got it. How is it possible? I am not sure. I was glad that little miss showed her feelings. 

Thanks, Mildred! 

Here's a clip of her beautiful accomplishment just two minutes after half time. 









Jill Fellow
801.735.7416

No comments:

Post a Comment