Saturday, March 26, 2016

Easter Eve 2017

Well, the stockings were hung ... Or whatever. This is my 10th Easter as a parent. 10 years, people. For 7 years our Easter talk was all about Jesus -- and then for two years it was all about springtime and re-birth and the earth and forgiveness and what other people think of Jesus. While I was stuffing eggs tonight, it occurred to me - oh, oops, we forgot to talk about it at all this year -- I guess this year is about candy. But they are getting books too so I am not completely a horrible lazy person losing touch of all values.
But I guess also this week we've had about a hundred conversations about not being horrible people ... To each other. Also, I screamed bloody murder at Lizza the other day for slapping me in the face and knocking off my new glasses -- and then I apologized, and she forgave me. See? Easter!
I guess Tim and I do lecture our kids sometimes. We think of these as teaching moments -- but Quinn has taken to calling them "church lessons." The other day we were cleaning up our lunch table after eating at Costco and I reminded the children how our family leaves thing better than we found them. Quinn said with irony and confusion in her voice, "That's a little strange, mom, to give a church talk at Costco."
And then there was something Quinn said today. We spent the morning planning and preparing to attend a Harry Potter birthday party in which the girls were encouraged to dress like a Potter character or the magical creature of their choice. After she came up with an idea and did most of the work, Quinn asked me to help her make wings for a hedwig costume. I did it. There were some frustrating moments, but final costume looked awesome. When we got to the party, not enough kids were wearing costumes, and 2 out of 3 of mine jumped ship -- back into the car to change. I didn't say a word. Five hours later after a lot of fun, the first thing Quinn said was -- "I'm sorry I didn't wear the costume after you worked so hard to help me." Forgiven, my love, forgiven of course. Who could resist such a kind hearted apology?
And when we got home a little while later she pulled me aside and said, "Mom, do you think maybe tomorrow morning, after all the Easter stuff calms down, you could read me the next chapter of Harry Potter?"
Yes,100% yes. Plans canceled -- I've got the best Easter date ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment