Monday, August 1, 2016

Miracle 35

I haven't been super jazzed about turning 35. It feels old AND I don't feel like I know what I want to be when I grow up -- so there is that. But Tim and the kids rallied, and it's been a miracle of a day.

We took the kids to hike Chief Mountain by Echo Mountain. I talked to the kids about it yesterday to help prepare expectation and maybe even get them excited (fat chance). But I did two things that worked -- i called the hike a mountain climb and tried to pump them up for hiking an "Elevener" at 11,700 ft. AND I told them it was a special Treats on the Trail event. We'd get snacks at the store and then stop every quarter mile. It was magical, and it worked.

The hike was cool and shady. Even a bit cold. No one complained about hiking, climbing can or peeling in the woods. They loved the snacks -- Gatorade, blue berries, nuts, birthday cookies, and pull and peel Twizzlers.

The summit was cold and windy but beautiful. Charlie didn't feel well, but rolled with it if he could hang with daddy. On the top of the summit, I opened a birthday card inviting me to meet Tim in Mexico in October -- half way through his training in New York. I am so pumped.

So, hiking, snacks, happy kids, presents, and amazing views. Drop mic. I'm 35.

No comments:

Post a Comment